Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New Kitchen Art

Woohoo!!  New wall art in the kitchen!!  I am so proud of myself at this moment, I created this new piece all by myself  :)  First, here's what the kitchen looked like before.


I liked the picture behind the table, but I've had it for about 3 years now, so it was time for a change.  Who knows, it may re-appear some day.

I wanted something to bring in the whole vintage-industrial vibe.  I decided to give a go at making my own... scary....  

I started out by finding a cute free font online.  This one's called Mailart Rubberstamp from here.

I knew what I wanted my sign to say, so I typed in out in GIMP.  If you're like me and you're too cheap to buy Photoshop, you should really try out GIMP, it has a lot of the same features as Photoshop, but it's free... yes, I said free.  You can download it here.


After that, I pulled in a free texture and added it as a layer. 


I put this layer on top of the text and made it a little transparent and I was left with this.


I had it printed to a poster size at Sam's Club.  I made it 20x24 and it only cost $8!

Now came framing.  

Awhile back, I found this frame at Goodwill for $4.


 It was a little scuffed, so I broke out the Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint, put the new picture in the frame and it came out like this.


There are a few scuffs on the glass, but I think it adds to the vintage charm. :)

Ahem... in the pics below you can see our horrible paint job in the kitchen... we had major paint issues in here, it'll be getting a new coat for winter :)




I'm thinking about hanging some colorful plates around the picture to add some color.  What do you think?

-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
www.lifeonagravelroad.com
and update your bookmarks.