Wednesday, January 15, 2014

New Year- New Opportunities




As each new year rolls around, I really try to take a hard look at myself and see where I want to go and who I want to become.  Yeah... I'm one of those people.  I come up with about 20 resolutions each year and end up accomplishing maybe 2.  Well, I've done it again.  I try not to tell people most of my resolutions because they're mainly things that I want to accomplish in my personal life.  But, 1 of my resolutions this year is actually to fulfill a dream I have had forever.  I want to be a photographer.  

Last year, I spent the year taking photos for free for friends, family and friends of family to gain experience.  I've been working really hard to get to a point that I'm comfortable charging for my services and I have finally reached that point.  So, on January 11th, I officially launched Jelly Bean Photography.  

How do I feel about this?  I'm terrified.  I have this horrible fear of failure.  I was almost physically ill all day when I launched the business.  There really is no risk involved financially- I still have my full time job and don't plan to leave it.  This is a side business that takes up my evening and weekends.  I keep telling myself, if it fails, it fails.  Even if it is a slow start, that doesn't mean it's a failure.  What am I losing from a slow start? Nothing.  I'm still terrified, but I'm working on it.  I did a lot of research and set my prices below the norm.  I want people to be able to have high quality photos of their families without breaking the bank.  When I looked at most of the local photographers, I had sticker shock.  I could NOT afford to have them take my family portraits.  I set my prices as low as I could to still make a profit.

I'm also starting an Etsy store.  There are only a few things up right now, but more will be added as I make them.  Check it out!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LifeOnAGravelRoad

In other news, Chris has also started a business.  He is a Master Electrician and an Electrical Contractor.  So, he has teamed up with a business partner who is a General Contractor.  Together they can conquer the world!  Or at least do everything except HVAC.  :)  His business is doing very well.  I'm so proud of him.

With all this new-ness, I'm really nervous but I'm also super excited.  We're both chasing our dreams of being entrepreneurs.  What could be better than that?

Here is my photography website- give me look :)


Good luck on any 2014 dream chasing you do!  

-Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
www.lifeonagravelroad.com
and update your bookmarks.